Friday, June 4, 2010

Thankful Things About the Past 5 Years



I graduated from high school 5 years ago today. And there are a lot of things that have happened in the past 5 years that I am so grateful for. Far too many to actually list out without it taking a million years of my time and yours (the three people who read this) So here's a list of a few standouts :)

1.) Earning my BA in English, and then subsequently discovering (on a really bumpy, but extremely exciting journey) that there truly is NOTHING to do with a BA in English.

2.) Learning to love someone with everything you have in yourself and the gloriousness of what it feels like when they love you back.

3.) I was privileged with second and third chances, all over the place.

4.) I have met, grown close to, learned to love, and lost a few of the greatest people in the world. I would never have made it this far without them.

5.) I got to present my senior honors thesis at the Jane Austen Society of North America's Annual Meeting. Epic.

6.) I found somewhere buried deep within me a serious, devoted, sometimes ugly love of football.

7.) I have read a lot of good books since high school.

8.) I found the courage to move away from home, away from my parents, and learn how to make things happen and make life work and actually try my hand at being a grown up.

9.) I learned how to do my own laundry. Take that as you will.

10.) When things haven't worked out, I have successfully managed to change them so that they work better or cut my losses and move on when they are not salvageable anymore.

11.) I have almost successfully completed half of my master's degree in English.

12.) There are just so many lessons I've learned. It's impossible to even begin to embark or a synopsis of them and still do them justice.

13.) I learned the truest happinesses and felt the deepest lows, but thankfully spent far more time on the former rather than the latter.

14.) Adventures. I have seen new places, tried new kinds of food, tried new kinds of jobs, seen sites, crossed Central Park, crossed the country, seen my work on stage (albeit not my best work), and moved to a new city that outpopulates my old home by many many millions.

15.) I met Kelly Kapowski. Tiffani Theissen for realsies. That was pretty sweet.

16.) I also met Noah Wyle.

17.) Stephen Daldry bought me a drink.

18.) I found several things that I truly truly love to do :) So maybe someday, I'll get a big girl job and pursue them.

19.) I am grateful for the number of pairs of shoes and the quantity of sundresses, skirts, and cute sweaters I have been graced with. Thanks mom.

20.) I lost 40 pounds and gained it all back and then some. And then lost a little again. But now, I think I'm finally beginning to figure out why I'm really beautiful.

So, I mean, there's just so much more than that to say, to think about, to ponder. So many people I miss, so many people I'm glad I don't have to. But 5 years. I wonder where I'll be in 5 more...


No comments: